How to take Esbriet
Taking your dose correctly, from the start and throughout treatment
When starting a new medicine or making a change in dosage, it can take time for your body to adjust. It’s important to find ways to make Esbriet® (pirfenidone) part of your daily routine.
- Before you start Esbriet, your doctor should do certain blood tests to check how well your liver is working
- When you start Esbriet, your doctor will slowly increase the dose over 2 weeks. This is called dose titration
- Dose titration continues until you reach the recommended maximum daily dose. This will allow your body to get used to the medicine
- Your doctor may adjust your dose to help alleviate side effects. It is always important to follow your doctor's instructions
- To help you start and stay on Esbriet, you can download and use the Tracking Your Journey journal >
Esbriet Dosing Schedule
Follow the dosing schedule your doctor gave you. The table below shows the recommended Esbriet dosing schedule for the 267 mg capsules or tablets.
- The recommended full daily dose of Esbriet is 3 pills (267 mg
each, yellow tablets or white capsules) taken 3 times each day
- There is another dosing option with fewer pills per day. To learn more, see the section below
- Taking Esbriet with or at the end of a meal may help reduce certain side effects
- Doses should be taken at the same times each day with food: in the morning, afternoon, and evening
- If you experience side effects while taking Esbriet, talk to your doctor about ways to help manage them. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed
- Taking Esbriet with food decreases how quickly Esbriet is absorbed. It also decreases the drug level of Esbriet in the blood
After you are doing well with the 9 pills (267 mg each, capsules or tablets) of Esbriet a day, you and your doctor may want to talk about moving to a 3 tablet per day dosing option.
- Each brown tablet has the same amount of medicine as the three 267 mg pills
- 1 brown tablet is taken 3 times a day with food
- After you are doing well on the 9 pills per day, talk with your doctor about whether the 1 brown tablet, 3 times a day, is right for you
If you have questions about your Esbriet dose, talk to your doctor and see answers to frequently asked questions about Esbriet.
Make Esbriet part of your daily routine—take it with breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Taking Esbriet with or at the end of a meal may help reduce certain side effects, like nausea and dizziness.
How do I know if I’m having an appropriate meal?
If you are not sure you are eating appropriate meals with each dose
of Esbriet, talk to your doctor. Your doctor may also recommend
talking to a nutritionist about healthy diets for people with
Important notes about taking Esbriet
Be sure to remember these points when taking Esbriet. To make it easier, you can write them down and keep them with your medicine.
- Take Esbriet exactly as your doctor tells you to take it
- Your doctor may change your dosage of Esbriet as needed
- Always take Esbriet with food to help reduce certain side effects
- If you miss a dose of Esbriet, take it with food as
soon as you remember
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time to make up for a missed dose
- Do not take more than 3 doses (9 pills or 3 brown tablets) in a day
- If you take too much Esbriet, call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away
Other important things about your Esbriet treatment
- Once you begin taking Esbriet, you may not “feel” different. This is because Esbriet is meant to slow disease progression. Esbriet does not treat IPF symptoms or undo lung scarring
- IPF gets worse at different rates in different people. With or without Esbriet, your lung function may continue to decline. Your doctor will do lung function tests to measure how IPF is damaging your lungs over time